Monday, October 12, 2009

Watching God Work/Desiring a Closer Walk with God

Greetings Prayer Warriors,


Below is something the Lord has done in my life while here.
Covet your continued prayers as I prepare to leave this evening; These long flights can be very painful as this old gorilla squeeses into those small seat and the leg yells. Not complaining, doing it joyfully; thanking the Lord for this special opportunity.
Shine for Jesus all. Be Holy.

Until Every Child Knows,
Big Jim
Matt. 19:14
James 1:27

Desiring a Closer Walk with God



As 2008 came to a close, I felt the Lord’s leading to pray a simple prayer asking Him to give me a closer walk and deeper love for Him more and to help me to look to Him and Him alone in every area of my life. During this trip the Lord answered that prayer and others as only He can.

This past year has been one of many struggles as I felt in my heart that I was moving farther from Him instead of being drawn closer; similar to what we experience when we pray for patience but for me more intense.

Trips were major struggles; trials constant and discouragement seemed to want to be a constant companion that had to be overcome daily as the Lord would remind me of things He had done. It never ceases to amaze me how easily I can take my focus off the overwhelming greatness of God; instead of focusing on what is good as He commands, focusing on seemingly negative things and allowing myself to worry about things that never come to pass.

God give me strength and wisdom, courage and faith to carry on, help me to be strong and courageous not to worry or fear. Lord be my God. Help me to love and give as never before; looking to You and You alone for everything.

One thing I quickly became aware of was the Lord was opening my eyes wider to my own sinfulness and desperate need of His Grace. To draw nearer to Him meant letting go, completely, or as completely as I knew how to do.

Funds for the last two trips were very light, can’t continue on like this Lord.

Let go Jim; let go and trust in Me, I will never leave or forsake you. Trust Me, Jim.

Seemed the more I gave the more unexpected expenses flowed in; but you know the neat thing here? I continue to be debt free and for the 5th year in a row will be able to give away at least 100% of my income as God continues to help me trust Him in this area.

Then there was this trip. As I reread the Autobiography of George Mueller on the way to Zambia, I was again reminded of this great man of God’s strong walk of faith and recommitted my life to trusting God looking to Him and Him alone to provide. Asking folks not for funds but for prayer only; looking to God only. Scary; but so neat to stand back and watch God work in such wonderful and amazing ways.

As the bills roll in, funds go out; somehow, amazingly, as I prepare to return to the States, today, October 12th 2009, the Lord has allowed me to remain totally debt free. (Bills to pay when I return but have funds to cover) I thank you Jesus, for your great love and Your Holy Word.

Another area that has been a struggle this year is dealing with loneliness. Should I pray and ask the Lord to bring someone into my life; a helpmate that would stand by my side through my remaining years?

October 19, will be the 4th anniversary of Joanne going to be with Jesus. Lord how shall I pray? Is it a bad thing to pray this way?

The Lord used the Grace Renewed (Sonship) team to guide me. We did not discuss it but as we talked through the week and they took me out to dinner one evening, just being with them and having fellowship with them made it abundantly clear.

Bob, Rose Marie and team are totally sold out to Jesus and just blessed me and the Lord used them to give me clear guidance in that area; without ever talking about it. Thanks guys; thanks for everything. You are in my prayers always. See you in Cuba!

The Lord showed me that He would allow me to pray that prayer and would bless it but doing so, would limit the ministry He has given me with children. I realized then that Paul went through some of the same struggles and like Paul, I’ve chosen to allow God to be my all in all looking to Him to fill my life even in this area and now have a great peace about it. Thank you Lord for your clear direction.

Just a quick note here, this is just in my case and please don’t think that Jim is saying to never marry or remarry. I would only encourage all of us always look to the Lord for guidance in every area of our lives; trusting in Him with all our hearts and allowing Him to direct our paths. His yoke is light and His love higher, deeper and wider than we can ever imagine.

I’m not suffering for Jesus; I’m joyful in Him; knowing He is giving to me the desire of my heart. Bringing the children to Him as He commands in Matthew 19:14 and Mark 10:14.

The Lord reinforced that decision as I was teaching last week at the school asking the children how long was forever? (Forever!) Sharing how our lives here were less than a small dot on a line compared to eternity and no matter what we can trust God to bring us through. Got it Lord; thank you.

At the end of 2008, I prayed asking for a closer walk with the Lord. He has answered mightily and is allowing me to walk more confidently than ever with Him, assured of His great love for me and you and thankful that He has allowed me the Holy Privilege of being His child.

As I prepare to leave to return to the States, I’d like to just encourage you to join me in praying that prayer. Pray for your love and trust of the Lord to deepen; for your faith to grow stronger and for Him to guide you in faith on the special path He has for you and for each and everyone of us.

As I write this attempting to be deeply honest, my pray continues to be, Lord draw me close, do whatever it takes to bring me closer to You.

As we join together in prayer, looking to God as we pray, I can’t wait to see what God does next.

Have a great day with Jesus all.

Keep shining for Him!

Until Every Child Knows,
 Big Jim
 Matt. 19:14
 James 1:27
Prov. 3:5,6

1 comment: