Sunday, February 9, 2014


Amy: God's Angel Unaware

 Let brotherly love continue.  
2 Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers,
 for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. 
Hebrews -13:1-2

It has been awhile since I have written in this blog but I could think of no better way to start back up than by sharing about a very special young lady named Amy, who taught me so much in my early years of working with children and teens.

Just a little history on Amy, when she was born the doctors told her parents that Amy would most likely make it to her first birthday. And if she did she would never walk or talk. On Saturday, 02/01/2013. as she was resting from her dialysis, 36 year old, Amy, went home to be with her Jesus.

Many labels would fit Amy, special needs, handicapped, mentally challenged, etc.

Did I mention; I HATE those labels?!? Amy was Amy, pure and simple, just as Jim is Jim and you are you. We all have special needs, all are handicapped, mentally challenged in some capacity.

There is one label though that fit Amy perfectly.

She was and is a child of the King!!!

The biggest difference between us and Amy, was she got it. She knew and loved Jesus and he was first and foremost in her life.

I'll never forget the Sunday this little ball of love and energy came storming into my life and into our class. (Trust me, Amy could walk, run and she could talk, man could she talk!) Amy loved her Jesus and was as full of the joy of the Lord, as anyone I had ever met. She was a part of my class for several years and I just loved it when she would run into the room all excited and give me a giant hug.

We did not always get through our "lesson" but the lessons we learned through Amy were so much more important. We learned how to live, to love, to be joyful in all things as she modeled for us what was truly important in life.

Since then, I have come to firmly believe every class needs an Amy or two or more. I was the teacher but Amy was my mentor. As were those who came after Amy that I had the privilege of knowing.

I'll quote a post from Amy's cousin's post on Facebook as she describes Amy far better than I ever could.

 "What a beautiful celebration of my cousin Amy's life today! She lived uninhibited, full of Jesus' love, blessing everyone she met. As the pastor put it, "Our purpose in life is to love God and love others. AMY NAILED IT!!" Oh how our world would be different if we all lived like that. I want to live more simply, love more deeply, and bless others more abundantly."

The Pastor shared a story about Amy, seems he used to tease her about only allowing her to give him one hug at church on Sundays and how he would sometimes tease her during service when they were singing and point to her and mouth, only one hug :). I can just see her in my minds eye getting so excited as she ran and hugged him.

Lord, help me to live more simply, love more deeply and to bless others more abundantly. Thank you Lord for bringing Amy into our lives to model how to live for you.

Over the years, I have asked many kids and teens to describe to me what they think heaven will be like. I've gotten answers like, perfect peace, streets of gold, no more tears and etc. In other words, Jim, we have no clue. 

Amy knew. she lit up, started shaking in excitement as she looked up and said 'I'm going to get to play with Jesus.' And that is what she is doing right now and I look forward to joining her there!

Thank you Lord Jesus, for giving us this taste of heaven. Lord, help me/us all to be a blessing to those around us; and to love abundantly and live uninhibited for you.

On an extra special note; so appropriate , the Gospel was presented at Amy's Homecoming Service and  as a result there was great joy in heaven as another came to know Jesus.

Have a great day with Jesus all as you shine brightly for Him.  

In Christ Alone,
Until Every Child Knows,
Big Jim
Matt. 19:14
James 1:27
Luke 14:12-14

Romans 12:9-21 (ESV)

Marks of the True Christian

9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

No comments:

Post a Comment