Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Watching God Work in Zambia-1

Greetings Prayer Warriors Around the World,
Had no Internet in Zambia, but it was an amazing trip and over the next several days, my prayer is to be able to send you some updates about the camps we did, the work at Village of Hope, introduce you to some of our children there and future plans to minister to the children of Zambia as we watch God work as only He can.

As we start on this Adventure of Faith, I'd like to share a personal testimony; something the Lord reminded me of as I was walking with our children to their school one morning.

In January of 2003, a trip to Liberia in West Africa was planned, going with Rev. Ralph and Justine Lampkins and Pastor Bob Green, the Associate Pastor of my home church. My part would be doing Kidz Klubs with the children at Maggie Lampkins Institute and in some local villages. This was to be my first visit to Africa. We had also raised the funds to bring Lula and her girls here to America to be reunited with their husband/dad, David, who was here in America and could not go back.

In December, 2002, there was an infection in my leg. The doctor assured me there was no need to worry, gave me medicines and told me to stay off the leg for a few weeks and it would be fine.

But then, a flesh eating bacteria got into the leg. I was rushed to the hospital where they did surgery on my calf, filleting the muscle and much more; the bacteria had done a lot of damage. They weren't sure if I would survive and the surgeon shared afterwards, when (if) I was stronger, they would probably have to amputate the foot. They were giving me synthetic morphine just to get me to sit up and put the leg down; would just pass out from pain otherwise.

As that was clearing up and after they closed the leg up, another infection hit me, more hospital visits and this time they were considering cutting the leg off at the knee the next day if it didn't clear up. Again through prayer and the grace of God, it cleared up.

Then, gangrene set in the toe. I was told best case, I'd lose all my toes, maybe have to "amp" half the foot. Again, as folks prayed, "only" lost the big toe.

Seven months had now passed and I was told, due to the damage to the leg and lack of balance, I'd most likely have to walk with a cane and would be very limited in what I could do. Basically, sitting around with my leg elevated and walking to the van to go out. That was the case for awhile and when the leg gets real bad, I still do have the cane, but that is rare. Walking is limited but can do for few days at a time here and there.

Was also told my days of missionary travel were over. This long travel would be too much for me (can be challenging) and it was just too physically dangerous in other parts of the world for me with the leg. Any infection could kill me. Being from India, my doctor especially warned against going there.

Needless to say, the Liberia trip was postponed. Later wrote an article for our church newsletter, "The most successful missions trip I never took".

On July 23rd, we left for Zambia; this past Thursday,August 6th. I returned from my 17th trip since the leg went bad; my 9th international trip, not to mention the various ministries in this area the Lord has allowed me to be involved in.

For nothing is impossible with God."- Luke 1:37

Each morning as the orphans at the Village of Hope would meet as a group and sing praises the the Lord and pray, we'd join them and walk with them to the Village of Hope School, maybe 1/4 to 3/8th of a mile away, carrying one or more on our shoulders, walking and singing praises to Jesus.

Thank you Jesus for allowing me this Holy Privilege of working with these precious children here and around the world. Help us to never take our health or lives for granted to to always have an attitude of thankfulness as we press forward to the goal sharing Your love with all we meet, always looking for opportunities to minister. In the name of Jesus, I pray for many more opportunities to minister. Amen.

On the way over, I reread the autobiography of George Mueller. The Village of Hope is run by a modern day George Mueller, Benedict's doctrine is simple, James 1:27, Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

In our next update, you'll hear more about the work here and the vision Ben and his team have, a God sized vision, we'll introduce you to some of the folks here and of course to our orphans, who you will absolutely fall in love with.

Being Africa we also have a few snake stories, as spring is starting and they are coming out. There is a shortcut you can take coming back from the school, but only in the mornings when it is cool. It's called the python path. There also is a pond in front of the school where they are raising fish. The African name for the pond is "where the lions gather to drink". Did I mention the green mamba they killed by the cargo container we had unloaded?

We were told to expect maybe 200 children in the various day camps we would be doing, so I planned for 250 just in case. As we prepared for our second camp at a local village school, which consisted of a small office and four classrooms with a small yard, we walked there and I asked the Principal/Director how many children we could expect. "all the children want to come (Morning and afternoon sessions), we have 291 children registered." This wasn't counting our children from the Village of hope or our workers children. No stores to buy from, OK Lord, little help needed here. Need some loaves and fishes.

When we get to the camp stories, we'll share with you just how the Lord did it and the many Godincidences that happened as we watched God work in Zambia.

Did I mention the children had never seen balloons? When we returned to the school to say good-bye to the children and talk about next year. All the balloons were hanging on the ceiling of the principles office; little drummer boy balloons. All for now.

Yes, we are planning on returning in early August of 2010 to do Bible Camps in two villages where the team ministers and help to empower the church and help to develop children and teen ministry there.

Please continue to pray fervently for our children in Zambia. It's through prayer that we can go on. As I shared with our kids in Kidz Klubs this past Sunday, because they prayed, I'm able to walk with and love our children in Zambia.

Live radically for Jesus all.

Until Every Child Knows,
Big Jim
Matt. 19:14
James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment